Thursday, January 19, 2012

I bought a used boat. It has a torn boot around the lower unit. How do I know which boot kit to buy?

The inboard is a 4 cylinder chevy engine that has been rebuilt and runs great. I don't know what type of lower end is on the boat so I don't know which boot kit to buy. Is there someplace on the lowere unit that will tell me, or do I just measure the hole?I bought a used boat. It has a torn boot around the lower unit. How do I know which boot kit to buy?
the "boot" is outdrive specific. you need to find out which one you have. mercruiser, volvo, yamaha, or omc. if you could post a pic someone would know. we also need more info on boat.I bought a used boat. It has a torn boot around the lower unit. How do I know which boot kit to buy?
Depending how old the outdrive is but I assume you have an older boat

If the engine is a chevy then in most cases it is mercruiser or omc

Mercruisers have mostly been black, if the anti-vent plate above the prop is round curved it it a MR. if edged alfa1 .

(older) Volvo pentas are white and have no through prop exhaust. eighter has omc but has a typical round outdrive shape and uses a transome boot in round or square type.

according to your "measure the hole" i think you have an omc

I have heard that the round type transome boot is difficult to get your hands on.I bought a used boat. It has a torn boot around the lower unit. How do I know which boot kit to buy?
Look at the registration of this boat. Hopefully it will give you some information on the manufacture of the boat. It's critical to have the correct boot installed or it will leak badly. Ask the previous owner or take it to a marina and ask them. Also, find the serial number on the out drive and use this number when ordering parts. Different years have different boots. The serial number will also tell you what year it was built. Go to "iboats.com" and search their forum under out drive parts and info. Very helpful info and they also sell part reasonably

Good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment