Thursday, January 19, 2012

I would like to buy a used Bowrider but I don't know a thing about boats. How should I test drive the boat?

What do I need to look for in the trailer? How should I test it on the water? What manuevers should I do and what to look for?

What should I expect from noise, engine looks and general condition on a test ride? What questions should I ask the owner/ broker about the boat, etc??

Thanks for you help!

DavidI would like to buy a used Bowrider but I don't know a thing about boats. How should I test drive the boat?
Ask the owner or broker to take your for a ride. Ask them to show you what it can do. Does the boat perform the way you intend to use it? Hire a yacht surveyor to inspect the boat for you. Use the survey as a bargaining tool to lower the asking price if you still like the boat.I would like to buy a used Bowrider but I don't know a thing about boats. How should I test drive the boat?
I agree with Tom except for the part about the owner or broker taking you for a ride... because that's exactly what might happen. The surveyor is an important part of the process. Make sure that your survey includes the hull AND mechanical aspects of the boat (a hull survey doesn't tell you if the engine works). Realize that add-on like small kicker or electric motors probably won't be covered in the survey. If at all possible, once the boat passes survey, try and find a boater in the know about boats similar to the one your looking at to come along for the wet test. Any reasonably good mechanical type can look at the trailer to see if it's up to snuff (bearings, wiring and general overall condition). Depending on where you live, certain roadworthy conditions may need to be met.I would like to buy a used Bowrider but I don't know a thing about boats. How should I test drive the boat?
Like Tom said, a surveyor is the best bet. Look in the yellow pages or ask at your local marina. It's like using a home inspector or taking a used car to a mechanic for an inspection before you buy it. If you don't use a surveyor, then get the seller to take you out in the boat and show you how all the switches work and what they do, how to trim the motor for best performance, etc. Try driving the boat yourself, including off and back onto the trailer. Try docking it. Turn on all the lights and leave them on to see if they trip the circuit breakers (or blow any fuses). If you take it out on a calm day then bounce it over your own wake a few times to see how it handles or if anything rattles or if any circuit breakers pop or if the fuel guage fluctuates a lot. If you're buying it based on it's ability to hit a certain speed, then test it with a handheld GPS - boat speedometers are not very accurate. Does it have an electric fishing motor on the bow? Make sure you test that as well. Does it have a bilge pump with a float control? Put a couple of buckets of water in the bilge to test the pump. Check the trailer tires and lights. Check the wheel bearings - do they have "bearing buddies" so they can easily be greased? Jack up the trailer and check if the wheels spin easily or if the bearings are seizing up.

No comments:

Post a Comment